From Squatter Camp To Self Support
We at SparkleKids financially support young people with an ‘Attitude of Gratitude’ to get from a place of disadvantage to self support through Education in the shortest time possible.
We connect our lives to these young people as much as we can and then we just marvel at the journey that unfolds from miracle to miracle!!
We identify young people with sparkle and we wake up do-able and realistic dreams together.
We then take hands with all and everyone who would want to be a part of this wonderful process, providing mentorship, developing coping skills and creating opportunities towards further studies or jobs through Internships.
With the support of donors like you, Sparklekids have changed the lives of over 50 young people by helping with registration and enrolment and getting them up and running at Universities and other accredited Tertiary Institutions.
Four years ago we started with two young people, both studying Engineering, – Chemical and Civil. (See DVD). The year after that nine students and
last year (2015), thirty two eager and successful students.
What We Do
From Squatter Camp To Self Support / Participate In Changing A Life
1. Identifying Sparkle kids
We Identify and Financially support young people with ‘Sparkle, and an Attitude of Gratitude” to get them from disadvantaged to self support in the shortest time possible – We connect our lives to them as much as we can and then marvel at the journey that unfolds from miracle to miracle!
2. Placing those Sparklekids into Tertiary Institutions.
With the support of donors like you, Sparklekids have changed the lives of over fifty young people over the past five years.
Below are some of our Sparklekids students.
- Anethemba – Retail management – CPUT
- Nkosiyethu – Accounting – CPUT
- Nkosikho – Marketing – CPUT
- Abigail – Education – UWC
- Anelisa – Home care – Healthnicon
- Asiphe – Chem Eng – CPUT
- Gift – Elec Eng – Stellenbosch Univ
- Wandile – BA – UWC
- Chummie – Electrician – Boland
- Asiphe – Buss Mngment – Cape Coll
- Sipho – IT – CPUT
- Simamkele – BA – UWC
- Allu – BA psych – UWC
- Bonke – Educ – UWC
- Lungisa – Civil Eng – CPUT
- Nelisa – qualified Geologist – further studies – Wits
- Andisiwe – Analytic Chem – CPUT
- Nikelwa – Educ – CPUT
- Onke – Chem Eng – CPUT
- Anita – Chem Eng – Wits
- Siviwe – Oceanography – CPUT
- Anny – BA psyc – UWC
- Zandi – Nursing – Healthnicon
- Zianda – Nursing – Healthnicon
- Sihle – Nursing – Healthnicon
- Zanele – Nursing – Healthnicon
- Siphokazi – Electrician – Northlink
- Siphelo – Electrician – Boland
- Siyanda – HR – Boland
- Thabo – Electrician – Boland
- Simamkele – Educ – UWC
- Emerald – Educ – UWC
- Andiswa – Consum Science – CPUT
- Zizipho – Logistics – NMMU
- Lethu – Chemistry – CPUT
- Nezisa – Nursing – NMMU
- Mary – Tourism – NMMU
- Thandi – Beauty Therapy – Cape Coll
- Kuhle – Educ – CPUT
- Nomonde – Med Bioscience – UWC
- Unathi – Nursing – NMMU
- Cynthia – Safety/Secur – Boland
- Dillion – LLB – UWC
- Ntsapokazi – Nature Cons – CPUT
- Afikile – Agric Mngmnt – CPUT
- Anna – Educ – UWC
- Asandiswa – BA Psyc – UWC
- Shark – Hospitality – Northlink
3. The Last Matric
This is an Initiative we support that provides young people the opportunity to better their Grade 12 results, and even older people who never had the opportunity to do Grade 12 – This happens in the evening at Qhayiya school under the watchful eye of Sepsi Pike.
4. Vacation and Weekend Workshops
Donors of the Sparklekids programme support this Initiative over vacations and certain weekends. – isiXhosa Tutors come from Cape Town, selected by Headmaster Lolwana
to intensely teach all of the Grade 12’s.
This is one of the main reasons why the Senior pass rate went up from 32 to 80%
over the past five years.
5. Youth Cafe’
This is a safe haven in the middle of the Township where young people can study in relative quiet after school – Workshops and art classes and Culture Tours happens from here.
Sparklekids support this Initiative in every way.
6. Study Method Workshop.
This takes place early in the year during school time for all the Grade 8’s.
This is where practical much needed methods are taught by Sparklekids Mentors
on effective study tools and methods.
7. Life skills club
Friday afternoons Angie spends time with selected groups where Life Skills are taught
through visits to art galleries, walks in nature, beach parties, watching meaningful movies etc.
This is great fun and a life- line to many young people who have never had anyone who bothered enough to care.