Born in Italy ( Lecco ) Lombardia, I come from a family of restaurateurs, and being born into an Italian family meant that I learned to cook from an early age with my mother. Mama had owned three restaurants previously and has been supportive and blessed my restaurant by handing down her collection of authentic winning Italian recipes to me.
My restaurant: Fabios is a neat, unpretentious restaurant with a delicious selection of meals, great local and Italian wine list and true Italian heart. We pride ourselves on our great service with a warm bountiful ambience and it is these things that make Fabios such a winning formula. We also have an extensive menu and also introduce several specials on our black board recipes every week.
Fabios is situated in the heart of Hermanus, nestled between the trees and greenery of the St Peters Church, on St Peters lane in the CBD, with an ocean view from the sidewalk deck . Casa Peroni is our brand & our signature Italian draft beer with our decor which is authentically Italian.
We now boast as the ONLY Authentic Italian Restaurant in Hermanus & the Overberg as accredited by the Italian Chamber of Commerce for two years in a row, there are only four in CT & 25 in total in South Africa.
Fabios team is made up of myself- Fabio aka (The Don) , my cousin and business partner Antonie Lombard aka (Antonio The Hammer), Chef De Wet (Danillo The Bullet), Patricia (The Wizard ) and her team and lets not forget we also have the front of house manager Wietske (The Hawk) & her team & Wayne (The Gentle Skoli ) in the bar. This close knit team is dedicated and committed to great service from the moment you set foot in our door.
Our specialities include:
- Seafood Lasagne, a self-designed recipe and unique to us
- A risotto menu
- Various Bruschettas & Carpaccios for starters
- Seafood Soup ( Zuppa Di Pesce)
- Pasta della Casa( Fabios Speciality) only at Fabios ( beef fillet strips, garlic & a hint of Chilli cooked in a creamy white sauce) including
- Trippa Parmigiana
- STA Veal Livers alla Veneziana
- Home-made Gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce or our delicious bolognese sauce, certainly voted the best in the Western Cape!
- Our delicious Italian thin crisp pizzas with a variety of toppings including Parma-Rock ( Parma Ham & Rucolla with parmigiano cheese shavings) on a typical Margherita base or Gorgonzola & Green fig preserve, pizza Caprese and many more !! OR Fabios Special Quatro ( see for yourself )
- Our home made Lasagne, Canellonni & Filled pasta ( Panzerotti ) are made with our homemade sauces.(We also make for functions, just bring us your tray)
- A visit to Hermanus is not complete without popping in to try our Panzerotti ( filled pasta )Veal & Porcini Mushrooms or Butternut & Cheese served with a light pomodoro , creamy Pomodoro or a creamy sauce.
We offer Wheat/Gluten free options for our pasta’s and pizzas.
We also specialise in seafood fresh fish of the day, calamari, soles, prawns and we specialize in meat dishes made the Italian way. Our veal medallions are made with a creamy Marsala, Limone Piccata or a creamy mushroom sauce(add porcini mushrooms as an extra).Ossobucco & polenta, Tuscan lamb shanks, Matured Steaks (Fillet or Rump ), Involtini veal medallions filled with Parma Ham & Parmigiano cheese, rolled up and cooked the Italian way with wine, rosemary & a hint of garlic is also available.
Our dessert menu specializes in:
- Italian Frozen desserts
- Ice creams
- Sorbets and several home-made desserts such as,
- Semi Freddo Zabaglione
- Winter warm desserts are also available.
Our wine list has won a Diners Gold Award and includes a wide selection of Italian imported wines such as Chianti,Valpolicella, Lambrusco,Pinot Grigio and great grappas such as Grappa Ruta, (Prosecco wines for apperitivos with Apperol or Campari) and various stunning Italian after dinner liqueurs ( Digestivos) such as Limoncello, Averna , Ramazotti ,Amaretto & world renowned Fernet Branc . We also stock and support local wines in our area.
Our Deli stocks imported Italian Pastas, Italian Imported Coffees, Anchovies, Olive oils, Balsamic Vinegars, Arborio Rice, Cold meats, Cheeses, Squid ink, Polenta, Italian cool drinks, Peeled tomatoes, Espresso Moccas. . . the list is endless. Do pop in and have a look.
Look forward to seeing you soon.( Arrivederci e a presto )